Friday, August 8, 2014

International Cat Day



I grew up with a house full of cats. It started with one, Miki. A beautiful Siamese Himalayan mix that would talk to us and play hide and seek. She was beautiful. Then 2 kittens were left at our back door step. I never knew just how those people knew my mother would take them in… that she was a cat lady, but we welcomed Sonny and Bonnie into our lives. After the Silver Anniversary gift of Alexander, the silver shaded fluff ball worth A LOT of money, the order of appearance for the rest of them is a blur.

It was yearssssssss later, married with the girls and still wanting a cat… my familiar… and the answer was always NO! I regretted not paying more attention, not really enjoying and working with those first cats while I was growing up. I’d probably never have another.

And then Phee walked into our lives. She was a beautiful mess. Most of the fur on her back was gone. She had 2 gaping sores (one on each side of her rear). I was afraid to touch her. She purred and rubbed all over me, still afraid to touch her. I would pet her head and then go wash my hands. I had no idea what was wrong with her. I bought cheap cat food to put out for her, which in turn brought several other cats around lol. Then she started sleeping in the back of the truck in our garage at night. We brought out blankets. She would wander during the day and I was always so afraid she wouldn’t come back. But she would be right back under the blankets at night. Eventually we were allowed to take her to the vet and if she would be ok, we could bring her into the house. I almost dropped over. So, off to the vet she went. There was noting seriously wrong with her, she stopped licking the sores and they healed. She still loves to pull her fur out, but she looks a million times better. She has grown into a beautiful cat.

It’s hard to believe that was 3 years ago.

She is my Magick girl, we do a lot of work together. During our head butts I ask for her help. She helps with my Tarot, she helps with my whispering… she’s there for all of it. She follows me nearly everywhere, sleeps with me at night, hangs out with me during the day. I was lost without her and now I have my beautiful familiar Phee. I am so grateful she walked into our yard, walked into our lives and into our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment